Thursday, May 19, 2011

So many days have passed...

So, so much for accurately documenting each day's experience.  I will try to do better from this point forward.  Since my last post, I have had a plastic face-mask made which is used to bolt me down to a table each day as I am subjected to high amounts of radiation!  The planning phase for radiation treatment was actually a whole lot more involved than the treatments themselves--which are short (10-15 minutes) and painless.  I'm amazed at how high tech this all is, to be honest.  The treatment is IMRT (Intensity Modulated Radiation Therapy) and uses 3D image studies to plan treatments with the goal of calculating high doses of radiation for the tumor itself, while sparing healthy tissue as much as possible.  I've also been taking Temodar daily (7 days a week) in the hopes of ridding myself of this little bastard.  I began both Radiation and Chemotherapy on Tuesday, May 3rd.  I had some intense nausea on May 4th but with the help of Zofran (an anti-nausea drug that was also prescribed), I've managed to get through that just fine.  Other than that, I'd say the only effect I've felt up until this point is a slight increase in how quickly I get tired and my general energy levels each day--very slight, though.  I am still working full-time as a HS teacher and will finish up the year with exams next Tuesday and Graduation next Friday.

By the way, here is a copy of my pre-op MRI that I finally managed to take a picture of haha...

No comments:

Post a Comment