Saturday, January 28, 2012

To post or not to post?

Hello again!  So, I know my entire idea in creating this blog in the first place was to document my journey through the madening, terrifying world that cancer can be.  I also realize that recently, I have been posting less and less frequently.  I do want to apologize for this but I think I now understand why this is happening.  As I get further and further out from diagnosis, I'm obviously less stressed about the diagnosis.  Also, I've been VERY blessed to have had 3 MRIs showing slight improvement in the last 9 months.  I'm now re-learning how to live each day as a cancer survivor.  I don't use that term lightly.  Survivor doesn't mean that the fight is over and I have "won".  It merely means that I continue to live and to fight.  With each week and each month, as I go forward, I am actually finding where there are days at a time where I don't consciously even think about cancer anymore.  I have, to the extent possible, "taken back" the power for my own life.   In a way to wouldn't make sense to most that haven't seen cancer up close, cancer is the thing that actually has empowered me to live my life and for that, I am grateful.

4 comments:

  1. Michael,
    I certainly understand the need and want to get on with life and I applaud you. When you post it does let others see that you are doing well and gives hope. As a caregiver I am continually looking for information and trying to understand what my husband is going through. We are located in Georgia, about 20 minutes from Athens and an hour or so from Atlanta. Live you life and post when you feel the need. I will continue to check on your site for new post. Praying for continued good health.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey again...just checking to see how things are inGA? I hope your husband is strong and doing well....MSG me when you get a moment

      Delete
  2. I appreciate your comments...Thanks so much. I'm currently working on organizing a Relay for Life team to help fight back against this awful disease. If there's an event anywhere near you, it might empower you to join or you can donate to our team. There's info on my previous post. In any case, I wish your husband continued health.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Michael,

    It sounds like your cancer was a gift and a blessing. I often refer to my husbands AA3 as a gift and a blessing (people think I am crazy!!) as it changed our lives for the better. As my husband Sam says, it was like he was just drifting through life, not reaching his full potential and then boom one day almost the same way as you our lives were changed forever. We dealt with the treatment and once this was done, I made Sam draw up a list of things he wanted to achieve in his life. One of them was to become a builder, which he accomplished and has been a damn good one for the last 5 years!! The other was to open up his own cafe, which we also did and believe it or not it has been a major success, recently awarded BEST small cafe in our state, among many other awards!!! All of this because he was diagnosed with a brain tumor!!!
    I have some strong advise for you... do the same! Make a list of things you would love to achieve in your life and I bet you will not only achieve them, you will excel at them.
    Go on holidays, lots of them, don't worry about money, it seems to be there when you need it!!
    Enjoy your life, just because you have a brain tumor, it does NOT mean you will die from a brain tumor - anyone of us could get hit by a bus tomorrow!!! Its just that you have a greater appreciation of how precious and short life can be as you've had a bit of a "taste"so make the most of each day!
    Cut the people that have a negative influence on you out of your life, you need to surround yourself with goodness and wholesomeness , the power of thought is underestimated!! You ARE what you think! Keep your life simple, and keep STRESS as far away from your life as possible!
    Don't ever become complacent , 5 years might go by and you will still be well, but don't fall into the trap of starting to think, oh yeah I can go back to eating bad or stress wont affect me etc...just remember the reason you got well, you changed your life for the better, stay on the healthier life path.
    I wish you luck, and if you are able to find a positive thinking and meditation course, I highly recommend you try as this is the best and most powerful treatment.
    Sending you lots of love and praying for your continued good health.
    keep up the good work!

    Ros

    ReplyDelete