Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Surgery and Post-Operative

Following my MRI on March 27th, my neurosurgeon scheduled me for a craniotomy--basically a procedure where they cut through your scalp, remove a section of your skull, remove the tumor, re-attach the bone and stitch the scalp back up.  To put things into perspective, the scar that this surgery ultimately left on my scalp (which is healing amazingly well by the way) is approximately the size and shape of a horseshoe.  I was taken into surgery around 5:50am and was in recovery by approximately 3pm that afternoon. Following surgery, I was wheeled to an ICU room and placed under observation every 30 minutes initially and then every hour for the next 24hrs.  The next day, feeling much more lucid and energized, I asked if they could move me to a normal neuro room.  Eventually, they did so and I spend the next 48 hrs recovering and was increasingly able to rest since the observations were cut back more and more as my vital signs were normal.  By day 4, I was well enough to be discharged and was sent home to continue my recovery.  I must just add: the nursing team at the hospital were absolutely amazing throughout and I feel like nurses are often undervalued. THANK YOU TO ALL!


Stitches and Scar--48 hrs post-operative



No comments:

Post a Comment